As recently announced, NEC will soon begin the construction of our new Student Life and Performance Center! With this note, we are launching a steady stream of internal communications designed to keep you well informed regarding the project. We recognize that aspects of this exciting new campus development will be disruptive; the NEC communications team will do its utmost to deliver timely updates to you across multiple communications channels. Here’s the first round of changes that will affect your on-campus experience:
- First, the smaller parking lot behind the Jordan Hall building will close April 1, in order to accommodate the removal of the dumpster and other equipment from the St. Botolph parking lot.
- As you may know, the current handicap-accessible entrance for the St. Botolph building is the parking lot entrance. However, since this entrance will soon close, we are required to build another. Consequently, the main entrance to 241 St. Botolph will be closing April 17 for approximately two-three weeks, in order to build that handicapped access ramp.
- During these weeks, access to the St. Botolph building will only be through the side parking lot entrance, closest to Rooms G13 and G14.
- Once the ramp is fully installed, the main entrance will reopen, and the parking lot entrance will close permanently. This is expected to happen in early May.
- The Botolph parking lot will close permanently on May 1 in order to accommodate the removal of the Annex building.
- At the same time, the Botolph Street sidewalk, and part of the traffic lane closest to our building will close for the duration of construction, beginning May 1. St. Botolph will continue to be a two way street. Street signage will help direct that pedestrian traffic.
- Foot traffic will be rerouted to the Matthews Arena side of St. Botolph for the duration of the project.
- The classrooms 313, 314 and 315; the Opera rooms G13 and G14; the Jazz and CI office; the Health Center; Student Services and the EM offices will be temporarily relocated the first half of May for the duration of the summer. These new locations will be announced in a subsequent e mail.
Here’s how we plan to keep you informed:
- Open Forum Discussion Sessions will be held March 23rd, 10 – 11:30 am in the St. Botolph conference room, and April 9th, 2-3:30 pm in the St. Botolph conference room. These will be opportunities to bring all your questions to Ed Lesser, Mike Ryan and the Tishman construction team.
- Effective April 1, our construction blog will appear on the NEC website and will be regularly updated. This will be your information hub for all relevant information; we encourage you to use this as the source of updates. The blog, too, will be a place to register any concerns or questions you may have.
- This e-mail is the first of a series that will be generated by the communications team, outlining the key events/needs-to-know between now and June 1. Subsequent e-mails will be much shorter! Throughout this period, you can expect to see early warning and/or reminders a week prior so there are minimal surprises.
- Electronic Signage just to the right of the Jordan Hall main entrance will also keep you updated. Screens will also be installed in the St. Botolph and Residence Hall lobbies over the summer.
- Our NEC Facebook , @necmusic and @necmusic_today Twitter channels will have all of the latest updates.
- Articles will appear in the Penguin on a regular basis, and we will partner with Student Services to ensure you are informed and stay safe.
- For our PREP parents and SCE students, updates will be included in their weekly e-newsletter and other outbound communications.
- Through all relevant website listings, we will continue to inform concert attenders how this will impact their access to Jordan and Pierce Hall programming.
We’re committed to making this transition as comfortable as possible for all of us, and the disruption as minimal as possible. We’re keenly aware of the big changes ahead, and are very grateful for your patience as we embark on this exciting campus evolution! If you have questions or concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
NEC Marketing and Communications Team